Thursday, January 29, 2009

Nice and Snug & On Its Way.

I have really been feeling bowties as of late, but, I do not have a good selection. So the other day I decided I wanted to give it a go and build me a few.
Here is a little play by play of the building of my 1st bowtie sample:

First off I needed a pattern so got out one I got for a $1 in San Francisco on a shopping trip a few years back.

Once it is all traced out and shaped how I like it on pattern paper I cut it out and stapled it to some card stock type paper that pattern makers use, called oak tag.
Then added seam allowance of 1/4" and cut it out. Ready to lay down on my sample fabric and cut'n sew.

All stitched up. Now trim some of the excess seam allowance off and turn it right side out. Give a good pressing and....

Give a nice once over in the mirror as I tie the bow.

There you have it. Check back soon as I will share the actual goods when completed. The great thing about building your own bowties is that you use the scrap fabric that is left over when making actual neckties so there is no more waste.

Cheers.

No comments: