Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Natural Dye.


While doing research the last few days for design ideas and inspiration I recently discovered India Flint. She is an amazing artist from, as she states on her blog, the big island west of New Zealand. She works with natural dyes on fabric and her work is amazing. Well I am in love at least.
She has a book called Eco colour: botanical dyes for beautiful textiles. I found a nice write up about her book here. This is definitely going on my 'wish list' for Christmas.

Here are a few more amazing examples of her work that I found on her web site.

I have a few books that I got last year that are all about plant dye and what plants to grow in your garden to get what colors. Unfortunately I do not have a good place to grow plants but as I write this I feel like it is a poor excuse. I just need to do it. You never know unless you try, right. Look how much fun this would be!image from window on white

There is something about natural dyes and the look of the colors and fabric that makes me happy. Also being able to take a plain piece of fabric and make it come alive through the work of your own hands and the uncertainty of not knowing exactly what you are going to get. Amazing.

1 comment:

india flint said...

thank you for saying such nice things about me...
kind regards
india