Friday, September 05, 2008

The Hand In Earnest.

I have not visited the Earnest Cut & Sewn site in a long time and was pleased to find that it had been updated. (probably way back in January, I said I have not been there in a while) I love the shop and the look and feel of the goods found within the walls. If I open a shop one day I hope that it has the same look and feel as this, one of an old general & dry goods store. A place were you want to not only visit but linger.

They recently opened a shop here in LA that I have not gone to visit yet and I guess another one just opened in August in Malibu... I really need to get out. There are so many new shops that I have not visited as well as the regulars that I have not been to in such a long time. Next week I will try and get out, we will see.
Along with the shops look and feel I also really strongly believe in the same aesthetics as the founder, Scott Morrison. (watch this video on Martha about his company and the process)The focus on vintage Americana and Japanese Wabi-Sabi (perfection is found in the imperfect) Each of his garments are made by one person on a single needle sewing machine to show the imperfections of the human hand. There is something truly beautiful about that imperfection. This is what also drew me to Margaret Kilgallen and her work, that love and focus of the imperfect human hand. No matter how hard we try, anything we do by hand will not be perfect.

Here is a video from PBS's Art:21 with Margaret. There is just something about her work...

No comments: