Thursday, March 05, 2009

What is Your Passion?

I am not the type of person who likes to do just one thing. I guess you could kinda call me a "Generalist". I think I have always been like this, even when I was younger. I remember when asked "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I never gave a one subject answer it was always something like, " A professional football player and an Astronaut and a Paleontologist". Though at times I find myself envious of those that have a focus or a passion on one particular thing. Don't get me wrong I have passion(S) but just one, that is hard for me.

One of those people that I am somewhat envious of, not only of her passion and focus, but also her skill yielding a brush is Taliah Lempert of Brooklyn NY. Her passion and focus is painting Bicycles! yep that is what she does, and she does it very well. She hosts a web site
bicyclepaintings.com that is just filled with her work of both new and old, sketches and works in progress all of one simple subject, Bicycles.
In here own words she says this about what she does.
"
I paint bikes that are part of someone's life,or have been, or are intended to be. The bike they ride around, race, present themselves with. The right bike for the right situation. It's worn when ridden, locked, or crashed. It’s grimey, sometimes cleaned, sometimes not. How they chose it, how they use it and how they care for it. How each bike looks, develops because of a person. & says a lot. I’m not interested in creating a real scene, of a bicycle in a believable space. I'm interested in looking just at the bike. Like in old pictures, where saints are painted on a gilded surface. Or Pop art, with the subject not in a traditional space but on a flat ground.An everyday object with paramount importance. I like thick thick paint, splash and disregard lines aggressively brushed out and repainted.
I like the fight in it, I want to make paintings with movement and gesture derived from the bike.
The bicycles that catch my eye and come into the studio open a door to new communities, people, and experience. My paintings are my framework to see the world."
Work in Progress.
Final Painting
There is a lot to see when you visit her site. With something as simple as a bicycle you might think it would start to loose it's excitment after viewing a few of her paintings or drawings but NO each one has personality and is unique so go check out her goods and even buy something from her in her if you want, she even offers a free screen saver download of over 100 of her paintings (P/C only though????)

Cheers.

No comments: